Planning for Dental Anesthesia
Thank you for choosing Thurm Dental Group to provide your dental care. If you will be receiving general anesthesia, please know that the our level of care meets or exceeds the national standards of care for ambulatory surgical centers.
Please observe the following precautions before your appointment:
- No food or drink (not even water) for 8 hours prior to your appointment.
- Inform the office team of any recent illness, change in medication, or change in medical history.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing on the day of the appointment.
- Remove contact lenses prior to the appointment.
- Do not wear any makeup (not even eye makeup), perfume, earrings, or cologne on the day of the appointment.
- Brush your teeth vigorously before leaving for your appointment.
- Do not smoke the morning of your appointment.
- Use the restroom immediately before your appointment.
Post-Operative Instructions and Information
- The patient must be accompanied home by a responsible adult.
- The remainder of the day should be spent resting at home.
- Many of these drugs stay in your system for 24 hours after the procedure. The patient should not drive an automobile, operate any machinery (not even a stove), or make any important business decisions for 24 hours.
- The patient should not consume any alcoholic beverages or tranquilizers for 24 hours unless prescribed by Dr. Thurm.
- Report any unusual symptoms including dizziness or nausea to Dr. Thurm as soon as they occur.
- Some patients experience minor swelling of the lips from manipulation during the visit. If your lips are swollen, place ice on them for five (5) minutes, then remove for five minutes. Repeat as needed.
- Some patients may experience a sore throat. This comes from the dry packs we place in your mouth, as well as the medications we use. Use chloraseptic lozenges or spray with salt water rinses to alleviate any discomfort you have.
If you have any questions regarding your anesthetic or dental care, please call our office at (856) 335-1775.